
A hundred hearts would be too few
To carry all my love for you.
~Author Unknown
...
The greatest value of an object is that which we give it. Things are not valuable, memories and the love behind them are. Material objects can't carry memories, our minds do that for us. Therefore, when it comes down to it things are just things. They will never mean more than human beings. Yes, things are things. Not experiences. Not anything of value. With that said, while I would never place any amount of gold or fine gemstones or money over a person, I find what I have holds bits and pieces of my stories. That is why I really do love vintage items - they seem to tell story after story. Well, so think I.
And I have a little story behind my wedding ring. If you look at it up close, you can tell it is not of the greatest quality. $4 is what we payed. We were on our way, as a family, to visit my father, step-mother and sister last March. We drove from Utah to California. Stopping in a thrift store close to my father's house, we found my little ring. Since having my thyroid removed my body has exploded. My wedding ring from 15/16 years ago doesn't fit. Not even close. I had been going without one and being that we were merely days away from our 16th wedding anniversary last March (18th) when I tried the little $4 gem on, and it FIT perfectly, we knew it was THE ring. Dollar amount didn't tell its value. What did was the memories of our very first family trip in forever. 16 years in the making.
The next month, we said good-bye to Daddy and my Honey.
So this ring it is just a ring. Not real. Not important. A thing. But this thing reminds me of love. It reminds me of holding my sweet husband's hand. Of touching his back before he could fall asleep. Of walks. Of talks. Of being together, as a never ending circle. Sure, I would be reminded of such memories and thoughts and feelings without it but wearing it gives me tangible joy for now. I can sit and play with it, twirl it around - place it in the sun as little rainbows appear. This ring is not the actual memory but it is a story. A story of good memories. Of my soul mate and the look in his eyes when we realized it fit. He asked me to marry him all over again. And I said YES.
16 years.
Good times.
Bad times.
Sorrow.
Joy.
Crying.
Laughing.
Falling.
Forgiving.
Living.
Learning.
Loving.
o
I wonder who wore this little ring. If they too had good memories connected. That is really another wonderful part of vintage. It is more than a mass produced item. It comes with a past but it also has room for your own present and future stories.

No comments:
Post a Comment